DOG DAYZ WITH VETSHOPAUSTRALIA AND CHRIS DE ABOITIZ
VetShopAustralia and Chris de Aboitiz have been drawing huge crowds to the Noosa Festival with their surfing dogs spectacular for several years now, each time adding a little something new to their repertoire. And in 2017 it looks like the bar will be set even higher.
Chris has had a busy year, travelling to the States to bring his training techniques to the Californian public, save and train a rescue dog called Hobie and compete in a dog surfing competition.
Back in Australia, he has been continuing his ‘dog whispering’ with his loving sidekicks and planning the year ahead.
Chris and his four-legged companions will be hitting the road over the next six weeks, making their way up the East Coast, starting at Sandy Point, Victoria, on a 13-stop tour. At each venue, the SUP Dog OZ team will be presenting demonstrations and workshops for the general public, both in surfing and stand up paddling with canine companions, and in better bonding with their dogs on dry land.
“I’m looking forward to travelling again, meeting new people and teaching people how to have a happy, fun time with their dogs while giving them structure and exercise,” says Chris of the upcoming tour. “It [SUP dog surfing] is such a fun, simple and easy way to build a better relationship with your dog.”
The tour culminates in a Noosa Heads workshop the day prior to the Laguna Real Estate Noosa Festival of Surfing, Friday 3 March, open to the public and fun for everyone, on the water and on land.
The official VetShopAustralia Surfing Dog Spectacular takes place at 4:30pm on Sunday, 5 March, and Chris has something pretty special up his sleeve.
“I’m going to be bringing a big inflatable SUP with me this year,” he says. “It’s 17 feet long and five-feet wide. We’re hoping to get some members of the public on board with their dogs and have a bunch of us surfing at the same time. It’s going to be a great event. Hopefully we’ll get a celebrity on the board to help us paddle it, because you need a bit of muscle power to catch the waves.
“It will be a great test run for a very special event we have happening later in the year.”
Dates for the SUP Dog OZ East Coast Tour:
- VIC | Thurs 2 Feb 2017 | Sandy Point Holiday Park | 89 Beach Parade Sandy Point VIC
- VIC | Wed 1 Feb 2017 | Sandy Point Holiday Park | 89 Beach Parade Sandy Point VIC
- NSW | Sat 4 Feb 2017 | NRMA Merimbula Beach Holiday Park | 2 Short Point Rd Merimbula NSW
- NSW | Wed 8 Feb 2017 | Surfbeach Holiday Park | 1 Ballingalla St Narooma NSW
- NSW | Sat 11 Feb 2017 | Huskisson Beach Holiday Haven Tourist Park | 17A Beach St Huskisson NSW
- NSW | Wed 15 Feb 2017 | North Coast Holiday Park Tuncurry Beach | Beach Street Tuncurry NSW
- NSW | Thurs 16 Feb 2017 | BIG4 Sunshine Southwest Rocks Holiday Park | 161-171 Phillip Drive South West Rocks NSW
- NSW | Sat 18 Feb 2017 | Woolgoolga Lakeside Coffs Coast Holiday Park | 276 Lake Rd Woolgoolga NSW
- NSW | Sun 19 Feb 2017 | Banana Coast Caravan Park | 429 Pacific Highway Coffs Harbour NSW
- NSW | Wed 22 Feb 2017 | North Coast Holiday Parks Ferry Reserve | Riverside Crescent Brunswick Heads NSW
- QLD | Sat 25 Feb 2017 | Jacobs Well Gold Coast Tourist Park | 1161 Pimpama-Jacobs Well Rd Jacobs Well QLD
- QLD | Sun 26 Feb 2017 | Jacobs Well Gold Coast Tourist Park | 1161 Pimpama-Jacobs Wells Rd Jacobs Wells QLD
- QLD | Fri 3 Mar 2017 | Noosa Lions Park | Corner of Noosa Parade, Noosa Heads, QLD
Visit SUP Dog OZ on Facebook for more information and bookings: www.facebook.com/supdogoz
Find out more about VetShopAustralia and the 2017 Surfing Dog Spectacular at: www.surfingdogspectacular.com.au